Pat yourself on the back for taking a huge, amazing step towards your future!
Here are some fun resources to help you learn more about yourself, your skills and talents, and what you want to do when you graduate high school. And know that you can always call, text or email our Program Coordinator to help you with your GHYW Internship Application Materials, or to discover your future path!
Myers-Briggs Personality Test
Here is a personality test based on the famous Myers Briggs Personality Test. Keep in mind that this test is not official or scientifically proven…but it can help you learn about yourself, your talents and the things that you like to do.
– What about a long term career… Don’t even know where to start? Washington State Career Quiz.
– Interested in working in STEM? What is your STEM Type? Take this Quiz to find out: Stem Job STEM Type Quiz
– StudyInternational Creative Arts Quiz is a cool survey that helps you discover what sort of Creative Arts job or college arts major you may like pursuing.
Time to look for a job? Check out some of these websites! (*TIP* it helps to filter your search options in order to find positions that better fit what you are looking for):
– WorkSource Washington is probably the best free resource for building a resume and a cover letter, for looking for jobs, and for learning how to network, build a career and flourish as a new employee. You can create a profile that employers can view. It’s free!
Boen Reese, Aberdeen HS, completed over 90 hours at Tractor Supply Co., his talent was assembling outdoor furniture.
You Have Options!
– Volunteering for local nonprofits like Grays Harbor Youth Works, the United Way or the Habitat for Humanity is a great way to gain experience, hone your skills and build your resume! Check out this article on the Top Ten Volunteer Opportunities in Grays Harbor, HERE!
Thinking About College?
– Should you go to college? If so where? What type of school do you want to study at, a large school or a small one? Do you want to study out of state or in a different country? How will you pay for college? Is College right for you, or will you attend school after the working for a few years?
– CollegeBoard offers a number of resources including a search guide.
– Looking for affordable colleges? College Affordability Guide analyses over 7,000 colleges and ranks them by affordability and quality.
…How am I going to pay for it? Check this out.
– There are tons of scholarships and grants for college, many of which go unused. A simple Google Search on College Scholarships will help you get started. Yet this site is a great place to start: CollegeScholarships.org.
Washington State Colleges & Universities
– Google or Bing search the keywords “Private Colleges in Washington State” for a list of Private Colleges and Universities in our state!
– Best Nonprofit and/or Online Colleges in Washington State: Nonprofit Colleges Online
The Evergreen State College
University of Washington
Grays Harbor College
Central Washington University
Washington State University
Western Washington University
Tips on Drafting Resume and Applications
Applications and resumes…oh my. Luckily, they aren’t that scary but they do require a little planning, time and editing.
– Ready to start filling out that job application? This could help. (Goodprospects.goodwill.org) (Take a minute to explore this website!)
Still Need Help?
There is a lot of help out there—take advantage of it! Our Program Coordinator at Grays Harbor Youth Works is available to chat and answer questions about this process or even their own experiences. There is a very good chance that they will recommend that you apply for one of the many available internships…and if none of the options spark your interest, let them know! Who knows, maybe they can find exactly what you’re looking for and add it to the program!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or text or call: (360)589.0914. Our Program Coordinator, Felicia, is happily standing by to assist you!